Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Carolina Motorsports Park - A day in the life of Carlo Gagliardo

For the last couple of months, (or so it seems) Carlo and I have been trying to work in a sport bike riding session for the DVD. Several attempts were made but none seemed to work out just right. For a while, I was starting to think a road session was never gonna happen, at least for the sake of the DVD. On the last attempt to make a run at it, everything worked perfectly. On the chilly morning of November 19th; Carlo, myself and Tom, a friend of Carlo, was heading south.

Carolina Motorsports Park is located in Kershaw SC, and all I've ever heard about this track was... no one is allowed on the track for photos or anything else. Not even close! Knowing this ahead of time, I was afraid that our only sport bike sesh wasn't gonna be worth the time. In addition to that, this track was considered a green track (something I learned that day) and there were crashes happening all over the place. Lemme tell ya, it's nothing like motocross practice. If you fall on the mx track, and all of your body parts are still working, you might get roosted by your buddies when they pass. With sport bikes, everything comes to a complete stop. Nobody moves until everyone and everything is clear. I guess it makes good sense with the speed these guys are going.


So, being the professionals that we both are, Carlo and I walked up to the guy and explained what we were doing. And voila! Permission granted! Now... it wasn't the best kind of access, but it was way better than standing behind the gates.

I once heard that Carlo was "the man"  out on the sport bike tracks. All I can say about that is you should've been there to see for yourself. I actually thought his bike was choking cause it wouldn't go fast enough. He is most definitely " the man".



Check out a few of these screenshots from that day.









 

No comments: