Monday, January 2, 2012

My story of the Racer X job interview!

Yep, you heard right. Racer X Illustrated job interview! I haven't spoken of this to anyone but to a select few people. Maybe it's the New Years cheers or the giddy feeling I have about my new business but I feel now is the time make it public. Life has presented something to me that I feel is a career gift and Racer X actually had a little something to do with it.

Drum roll please... this is how it all went down. I'll try to make it short and not go into every small detail, cause there was definitely a ton of it! :)

It was winter season, 2010. I submitted my resume to Racer X for a photo/video/web position that was open at the Racer X headquarters. My first interview was actually a phone interview and my thoughts were, if I can have a good phone interview, then the next step should be a face to face interview. A face to face would be a giant step forward you know! Why else would they bring me all the way up (West Virginia meaning all the way up) if they just weren't interested.

So, e-mail confirmed, I'm headed North for a dream job interview with a company that I'm a huge fan of, doing something I'm passionate about! You can guess that I was not on cloud 9... it was more like cloud 100!

After checking into my hotel for the night, I got a call from Bryan Stealey (who I'd been talking with during the whole process) asking if I wanted to meet up for coffee the next morning. And you know I was up for that! A good chance to shake the nerves before going into my interview.

Long story short and skipping all the fine details, the interview was outstanding! After the interview, Bryan, Davey Coombs and other members of the staff took me out for lunch at a fine Indian restaurant where we all talked about... yep... you guessed it, motocross! It felt so good that it was almost inexplicable.

After lunch we wrapped up, shook hands and I drove back to my hotel to get my luggage and start making my way back home. Before I left, Bryan had mentioned something about going out to some local bars that evening for a few cold ones. But a serious snow storm was moving in and I felt it was best that I start making my way back to the Carolinas.

The job position was between myself and one other guy! I made it in over hundreds of applicants. That alone is a great accomplishment!

About a week later, I was notified that I didn't get the job but to keep my head up. I think the next few days my mouth didn't open much unless I really had to talk. I was bummed out for sure. I mean, how many chances in life do you get an opportunity to work for a company doing something you dreamed of since childhood, along with the industries top professionals?

Even though I didn't get the job, and was a bit bummed, I didn't let it take over my life. For whatever reason it be, it was just not my time to shine at Racer X or shall I say, in the motocross industry.

So, just like what the pros say when they're on the podium; I must give a huge shout out and big thanks to Bryan Stealey, Davey Coombs and the entire staff of Racer X Illustrated. I had the time of my life while I was there! I see it like this. I can look back and say that I was in close running for a position at Racer X Illustrated, bench race with the people that produce one of the best motocross magazines and was able to talk with some folks that most people will only read about! That to me, was a chance of a lifetime! And I am proud to say, that I came in second place on this deal!

What else can I really say! Hats off to the guy who got the job! I'd shake hands with the guy If I had the chance. I believe in having a good and positive attitude about situations that both work out and don't work out.

Now you ask, how does this tie into what I'm doing now? Well, to come so extremely close to having a dream job in the motocross industry and then have the doors closed on everything, especially when it all seemed to go so right; there obviously had to be something else in the hands of life waiting for me to grasp.

Now-a-days, I'm building my very own business. And I specialize in videography. There are some photography jobs that come around but it's mostly the video side where I stay the busiest! And I'm completely stoked. Who knows... maybe one day I'll get to do some video/photo work for Racer X.

You just never can tell!


One more thing! West Virginia is one heck-of-a beautiful state! There are postcard photos on nearly every corner. And I could just kick myself for not taking the time to snap a few shots of the breathtaking views around Morgantown!

Instead, enjoy these few I shot while driving!!! ;) I promise I was being safe while doing so...







I've always thought this sign was in a funky spot!









No comments: